Author Topic: Basic FAQ  (Read 149 times)

Walter

Basic FAQ
« on: September 04, 2021, 07:10:10 AM »
I'm reading the documentation that came with this, but I can't seem to get it to working.

I imported the asset, clicked on the URP option and then attached the Highlight Effect Script to an object. But playing around with the different sliders seems to have no effect.

My Unity Version is 2020 1.9f1

Is there something obvious I'm missing?

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Basic FAQ
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2021, 08:14:52 AM »
Did you add the Highlight Plus render feature to the URP asset as specified in the documentation?
Please note that you can have several URP assets so maybe you added it to the wrong one (check the URP assets in Project Settings / Graphics and also Project Settings / Quality sections).
Make sure the Highlight Plus render feature is added to the URP asset forward renderer.

Walter

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2021, 09:22:41 PM »
I think this is where I thought I didn't need to do this step because I already have a URP Renderer Pipeline asset.

In my Project Settings -> Graphics I see "UPRendererPipeline Asset PWS UP 8.2.0 (Universal Render Pipeline Asset)

In my Project Folders under Lighting -> Universal Pipeline   I see different renderers. For instance I've got one for Procedural Worlds which I'm assuming is for my GAIA asset.

Walter

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2021, 10:00:38 PM »
So just to follow-up, I'm not exactly sure what to copy where and what to set where. If this was specified in the documentation then I apologize, but all I saw was "do this" without giving the step by step on how to do it. If this is the case then it probably reflects an expectation that someone would already know how to do this. I may play around with it to see if I can figure out the steps, but I'm just really hesitant to make this kind of change without knowing exactly what I'm dong.

Walter

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2021, 10:09:18 PM »
Looks like didn't fully check my asset path because my currently selected URP Renderer is actually underneath the Procedural Worlds folder.

So it's Procedural Worlds ->Lighting -> Universal Pipeline and one of the options there is what I'm currently pointing to in my Project Settings -> Graphics

So yeah, if it sounds like I'm a little confused, that's probably because I am.

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2021, 11:13:59 PM »
Hi Walter,

In addition to have the URP asset assigned in Project Settings, make sure that your URP asset has the Highlight Plus Render Feature added to the Renderer Features.
This is the step 4 of the setup video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlCnEAcHJm0

Here's a new clip showing exactly what you need to do:
https://youtu.be/G9wrocnDMR4

1. Select your URP asset.
2. Double click on the Renderer to select it.
3. Click the "+" button to add Highlight Plus Render Feature to the Renderer of the URP asset.

Please let me know if this solves the issue.

Regards

Walter

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2021, 07:22:04 PM »
It looks like I have this setup right, but I want to go step by step through what I have to make sure.

In my Project Settings->Graphics I have UPRendererPipelineAsset PWS UP 8.2.0 (Universal Renderer Pipeline Asset)  This looks like it was installed when I installed GAIA from Procedural Worlds

When I click on that in my Assets I see two items under the Renderer List

1. ForwardRenderer (which is in a folder called Settings)

2. HighlightPlusForwardRenderer

If I click on the settings for HighlightPlusForwardRenderer I see under Render Features "New Highlight Plus Render Pass Feature" and this is checked

Is there anything else I'm missing?

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2021, 10:02:53 PM »
That's not correct. In the renderer list of the URP asset you should have only ONE renderer, for example the "ForwardRenderer" (otherwise you could be rendering your scene several times with unpredictive results).
Then, double click on the ForwardRenderer and add the HighlightPlusRenderPassFeature to its Render Features list.

Walter

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2021, 11:19:41 PM »
That was it! Now it works. I appreciate the help, and I think this might be a very good thread for beginners to this asset.

Is there a tutorial on how to easily set the features in script? I'm going to use this in a very simplistic way. When the player enters certain areas I'm going to call their attention to some objects that can be interacted with and I'll do a outline or some kind of flashing effect.

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2021, 08:26:16 AM »
Yes, the documentation includes some script snippets. Please check page 12 and beyond.
In addition to highlighting the objects using scripting, you could also use the HitFX command which adds a brief flash on the objects.