Author Topic: Voxel Edge Artifacts  (Read 285 times)

Wilsonator

• View Profile
Voxel Edge Artifacts
« on: July 16, 2021, 10:34:16 PM »
A pretty strange thing I've noticed - mostly in dark areas, but I'm getting tiny white artifacts on the edges of my voxels, it seems to be the skybox color leaking through the geometry. The artifacts flicker as I move the camera, and are only 1 pixel wide. I've attached a screenshot.

I've tried changing different settings but I can't seem to fix this, any help would be appreciated!

Cheers.

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Voxel Edge Artifacts
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 03:05:21 PM »
It's strange indeed. Try toggling the MSAA settings from the URP asset or in Quality Settings (for built-in pipeline) to see if these artifacts go away. We'll investigate as well.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 07:46:24 PM by Kronnect »

Wilsonator

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 03:58:07 PM »
It's strange indeed. Try toggling the MSAA settings from the URP asset or in Quality Settings (for built-in pipeline) to see if these artifacts go away. We'll investigate as well.

Hi, thanks for looking into this. I have tried toggling MSAA, and any other anti-aliasing but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I've gone through most of the options in the URP asset and tried changing things but nothing seems to get rid of them unfortunately.

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 11:55:54 PM »
A rasterizer accuracy issue. The dots show up on the connections of two edges with no other geometry behind. It seems more aparent in URP than in builtin.
Using MSAAx8 seems to remove those artifacts, try it.

Wilsonator

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 01:28:11 AM »
A rasterizer accuracy issue. The dots show up on the connections of two edges with no other geometry behind. It seems more aparent in URP than in builtin.
Using MSAAx8 seems to remove those artifacts, try it.

Hmm, turning on MSAA (up to x8, but same result for lower settings too) seems to get rid of the pixel artifacts but then introduces much more noticeable issues with voxel edges (see attached screenshot).

I am using URP, unsure if it's any better in builtin. Would you recommend using the builtin RP for VoxelPlay?

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 01:32:16 AM »
URP adds significant performance improvements which are very noticeable with VP.
This artifact issue is still being investigated.

Wilsonator

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2021, 01:38:56 AM »
URP adds significant performance improvements which are very noticeable with VP.
This artifact issue is still being investigated.

Alright, thanks for looking into this - otherwise very impressed with VP, keep up the great work :)

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2021, 12:09:24 PM »
This issue has been fixed in Voxel Play 2 beta.