Author Topic: Grass appears to be duplicating with snow effects, causing double-vision effect  (Read 123 times)

Logan

I'm playing with the Grass Coverage but it's having an undesirable effect that looks even more pronounced in VR. It seems to be duplicating the grass and it's waving not in-sync which is pretty jarring. I can't seem to figure out why. It also seems to have the same effect when I turn up the ground coverage, it duplicates the grass.

Anybody know how to fix this?

https://imgur.com/a/oNs6ewX

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Are you using forward or deferred rendering path? If you're using forward, try switching to deferred.

Logan

That's the ticket. Thanks for your help.

Logan Ausmus

So technically the deferred rendering is working for VR, but enabling it seems to have an odd effect on the motion and 3d effect in the headset. It's like my movements are more pronounced and dramatic. It's indistinguishable on the monitor, but in the headset it's pretty disorienting looking at an object and moving my head around. Not sure if that makes sense. Is this a side-effect of deferred rendering or is something else going on?

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Do you mean deferred in general (without Global Snow for example) or Global Snow in deferred?
In deferred MSAA is not applied so aliasing may be more visible, if that can have an influence on what you refer.

Logan Ausmus

https://imgur.com/a/aUwyqoU

This is the best way I can portray something that's occurring. In this video I'm simply toggling on and off the Global Snow script on the VR camera. Notice how the objects in each eye appear to shift a bit? When looking at it in VR it sort of skews the 3d effect and makes it feel weird.

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Are you using Multi-Pass or Single Pass Stereo? Any difference toggling between those VR modes?

Logan Ausmus

Currently on multi-pass. Single pass completely breaks my scene for some reason

Logan Ausmus

Well I found a workaround for now. I was originally adding the global snow component to the center eye anchor on the oculus camera rig. But I switched the rig's OVR Camera Rig Script option to "use per eye cameras". Then I had to add the global snow to both the left eye anchor as well as the right eye anchor and make sure they have matching settings.

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Logan Ausmus

Spoke too soon. I cannot use the workaround of adding snow to both eye anchors. While I can add it in runtime and it works. Doing it programmatically crashes unity. So I'm back to square one.
Any other ideas? Basically the 3d effect is being eliminated when I enable GlobalSnow in VR. I've confirmed this because when I add each global snow to left and right eye anchors, it works beautifully. I'm running out of ideas here. Is there somewhere in code where I could change this?

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Can you confirm if you're using forward or deferred?

Logan Ausmus

Yes, using deferred

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Thanks. Did you extract the "GrassAndBillboardSupport" package for deferred (found in Workflow_Deferred/Shaders/Grass & Billboards folder).?

Logan Ausmus