Author Topic: Multiplayer  (Read 164 times)

Player7

• View Profile
Multiplayer
« on: March 05, 2021, 03:52:58 PM »
On the roadmap for voxelplay ... could MLAPI  be added.. it is the new official multiplayer framework to replace unet. I know pirates template has Mirror support, but Mirror has some downsides like it will probably never work with unity's domain play reload feature, which is huge time saver to unity's increasingly sluggish build play times.

I'd buy the pirates template if MLAPI was on the roadmap for that even, for now I've held off as I think it's just going to become to deeply embedded with tying everything into mirror.

And well think some just wanted something to get started with all the core base multiplayer stuff working with voxelplay, the more you're having to rip out things that are not generically useful in code/prefab etc the better I find. I get its aimed at maybe a different audience but I'm just wanting basics of multiplayer support and enough examples to get started, not an entire game built really again that also comes into price range paying more for a template of things I don't need just for multiplayer support in a framework that I don't want to be using for the reason of it doesn't support domain play reload and then my entire build iteration times will go through the roof (which only gets worse with the more you code you have in your project) 😑

koyima

• View Profile
Re: Multiplayer
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 01:30:02 AM »
Hi, I'm not sure what the future holds for the Pirates template as far as porting goes (it might happen), the reality is that Mirror is already what you are looking for: it has the examples and it has no prefabs and such, you can get a game running in minutes

Now as far as specific Unity features supported by Mirror: you will never find the perfect tool that has everything you need exactly at the right time, it will either have most of what you need or appear just as you don't need what you thought you did

I'm not going to push you towards Mirror just because it might not be the tool for your specific use case, but just keep in mind the perfect tool rarely appears when you need it
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 02:08:53 AM by koyima »

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 12:29:54 PM »
Hi Player7,

We've looked into MLAPI. As you know, Unity acquired it with plans to extent and released it as part of the platform multiplayer tools.
However, it looks like currently MLAPI is at a muddy point. On one hand we have the community version on Github. On the other hand we have the official Unity repo which seems the correct source now.
But Unity is planning or developing changes that will probably break functionality so we'll wait until Unity releases it officialy to make a decision on using it in future templates or integrations.

Mirror and MLAPI are very similar and since it can take months before we see an official MLAPI public version from Unity, if you're looking into developing multiplayer now, don't hesitate: go for Mirror.

Player7

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 06:03:31 PM »
Fair enough, yeah nothing Unity does is speedy.

well I've bought various Mirror related assets before so maybe I'll just go ahead with it. I've got Pirates for VP now aswel.. can't say I'll enjoy Mirror never supporting the faster domain play reload stuff, as that was the appeal with MLAPI as Unity is an absolute slug to get into iterating with code changes these days.

Anyway I had a look through Pirates and well it's a bit heavy just to run it, like having to go through the menu's etc as the way it is setup is 2 scenes etc..

I'm just wanting something simple like the Mirror examples of a single scene setup.. something where the main scene voxel demo scenes work even just a simple flycam controller where each connecting player can just place/break stuff and inventory (btw I think you mentioned inventory isn't server side? could that be changed it seems like a easy exploit that doesn't sound good for anyone to be building a game on top of these days)... so the very basics of multiplayer that is setup to work with VP without all the main menu/options/character selections/terrain gen etc.

Because it just feels like looking at Pirates, I'm gonna end up spending more time trying to dismantle so much of it because it's not what is needed to build on top of and well it doesn't help Mirror does make things take longer to startup, and then because I'm doing that all future updates will never just have a very basic scene that is maintained.

So my request is can we not have in the Pirates VP package a very simple example of Multiplayer VP setup  (and infact maybe this simpler example scene(s) could be what in the future you just add MLAPI examples for, I'm not sure everyone really wants a full game template and honestly it's a bit buggy in some ways so its not the kind of fully polished game template where I'd want to build on from as I'd already started my own character controller and other bits of the game I'm working on, so I just want basics of MP setup and what is needed to get that working)...

Much like how the original Mirror for VP started with the video of setting things up in Mirror and the code for getting VP changes synced.. that direction was kinda ideal keeps things simple.. I'm sure the full on template will be useful to have for codesnippets and for progressing VP with a working multiplayer solution but yeah simple multiplayer scene setup.. or even just video tutorial for that continuing on the old mirror+vp video.. but with the code that was done for that in in this full template? (or some pointers to getting it setup that way.. quick guide?

koyima

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 06:13:05 PM »
These are the videos you need: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8yvANqxmf0&list=PLvK5S1EKumJ8WRfIx0uymqKV4pMEZPJpY
and these are the most basic scripts: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jug0rsni642af7w/Scripts.zip?dl=1

the two tutorials last 1 hour and you have the scripts as well - the only thing that might be a problem is that Mirror has changed the
[ClientRpc(excludeOwner = true)] to
[ClientRpc(includeOwner = false)]

since you also have Pirates you can find the parts you need and bring them in
(building for example)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 06:54:28 PM by koyima »