Author Topic: Compatibility with Oculus Quest FFR  (Read 56 times)

jukka_at_fake

• View Profile
Compatibility with Oculus Quest FFR
« on: January 11, 2021, 10:12:37 AM »
It seems that HighlightPlus (v5.3.4) is not compatible with Fixed Foveated Rendering for Oculus Quest using:

• Unity 2020.2.1f1
  • URP 10.2.2
  • Oculus XR Plugin 1.7.0

If FFR is enabled and set to any level > 0, nothing changes in the output images. But HighlighPlus Render Pass Feature is removed from the Renderer Features list, or the active camera's renderer is switch to a Forward Renderer without the Highlight as a Renderer Feature, the output image correctly shows lower resolution areas in the peripheral vision. This this might be due to some intermediate render target being used which bypasses the FFR.

I tried to look, but didn't found anything similar posted in the forum or in the documentation. Is there a fix or a workaround for this issue?

Thanks!

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Compatibility with Oculus Quest FFR
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 01:46:02 PM »
Hi,

I built a repro and can confirm this. It seems a limitation of URP as enabling any feature that makes the camera render to intermediate targets will disable FFR effect.
For example, enabling "Opaque Texture", MSAA or adding any render feature (like Highlight Effect) to the forward renderer will cause URP pipeline to render to intermediate buffers.

I've posted the issue here looking for some response/update on this issue: https://forum.unity.com/threads/fixed-foveated-rendering-on-oculus-quest-not-working.686662/page-3#post-6711901

Regards