Author Topic: Simulating sea level rise  (Read 2695 times)

ZiadJ

• View Profile
Simulating sea level rise
« on: September 16, 2019, 08:09:51 PM »
I need to simulate rising sea levels over time and for that I've created a copy of the cloud layer and changed the material to a blue one. I can adjust the level by varying the Z value of its position but it would be nice if the whitish lining would follow the coastal regions like is the case with the original coastline. Also the height and image map resolutions are quite coarse and it'd be awesome if we could replace them with higher resolution ones. Are those possible?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 08:44:17 PM by Kronnect »

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Simulating sea level rise
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 08:44:05 PM »
Instead of using the cloud layer, I'll evaluate if it can be done using a modification of the Viewport shader so the "shoreline" cutout can be modified according to the sea level.

ZiadJ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 11:11:33 AM »
Awesome, thanks for tryring :P

As for height map image would it be possible to use a higher resolution image? Right now the effect is hardly usable on smaller islands and it's probably due to the lack of resolution.

ZiadJ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 05:42:22 PM »
Also I noticed that the height of the sea I created, using the repurposed cloud layer, seems to increase as I zoom in so it's not really usable because of that unless I keep the zoom level constant. The new implementation you're inquiring on will fix that hopefully.

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 02:56:23 PM »
Hi there,

After checking it, the water level shader trick won't work because the underline geography of the terrain remains intact. Raising the water level causes the water to "climb the mountains" while leaving blue hills and valleys behind. It doesn't work well for what you want.

The correct way to implement this is to add a plane as children of the map itself (not the viewport) and use a shader that could mimic the ocean and use a high resolution height map texture (8K for example) assigned to the water plane material to discard water pixels above certain surface level.

Regards