Author Topic: Waterfalls  (Read 1214 times)

Hannessa

• View Profile
Waterfalls
« on: December 17, 2018, 01:57:50 AM »
Would be awesome if water blocks change the side texture of all open blocks underneath them to a waterfall texture, to simulate waterfalls.

I think this visual effect should be applied regardless of how "filled" the water block is, so that even the smallest puddle would generate a waterfall, if it has an open side. Otherwise the waterfall would disappear too quickly once the water has finished flooded. I think Terraria does it like this as well, to allow permanent waterfalls.

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Waterfalls
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 05:45:04 PM »
Added a "flood" console command so you can temporarily disable it and "paint" waterfalls.
Example: https://youtu.be/pB71KAM5TPI

Hannessa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 02:12:52 AM »
That's very interesting! Would these water blocks stay in place even when you re-enable "flood"?

I'm kind of imagining a more "automatic" solution, that generates waterfalls on its own if it finds water blocks next to open spaces. E.g. if one side of a water block is open, it traces downwards from that block and places fixed water blocks like in your video, until it hits another block.

I'm thinking of this as a purely visual effect, separate from the actual flooding logic. That way, you can have waterfalls spreading even from blocks with the minimal amount of water, and the waterfalls would not disappear when the water finishes flooding. They would only disappear when the source water block is removed altogether.

It might be best to have a special "waterfall" voxel in that case, to separate them from normal flooding water voxels.

Not sure if any of this is possible, I'm just brainstorming :)

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 07:21:33 AM »
Yes, just duplicate the Voxel water definition and untick the Spread field.