Author Topic: Post Processing Stack support for SRP  (Read 2274 times)

demonixis

• View Profile
Post Processing Stack support for SRP
« on: May 21, 2018, 08:15:27 PM »
Hello,

Unity 2018.1 introduces two new renderers, the Lightweight and HD SRP. Regular image effects doesn't work with them because OnRenderImage/etc are not called anymore. The new way to use image effects is to use the post processing stack v2. There are many advantages to use it:
- Less draw calls
- Compatible with older and newers renderers
- One place to manage all image effects
- The Unity way

My projects use both Beautify and Volumetric Fog and Myst. I want to update to Lightweight and HD SRP because performances and quality are better. I know it's maybe not easy, but could you port your effects to the post processing stack v2?

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Post Processing Stack support for SRP
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 09:00:58 PM »
It's not a "cheap" task to solve though. Performance-wise there's no benefit from using Beautify / Volumetric Fog & Mist as they're now, compared with a port to PPS architecture. At the end, PPS won't solve the minimum blit count for each respective effect. I can understand the need for LWRP from a general point of view. Definitely it can provide better framerate, especially on mobile.

Both Beautify and Volumetric Fog & Mist are complex solutions that basically need to be:
a) rewritten in some aspects to leverage PPS workflow,
b) published as a different asset to avoid conflicts and issues to current users of builtin pipeline (you won't want to update your package because the other pipelines receive fixes or improvements...). And Unity is not making it easy for publishers in this regard (yet).

TL;DR; they will be eventually ported to PPS 2 architecture, it's just it takes time and providing two versions of the same asset is a technical and business challenge for both users and publishers...

« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 09:06:45 PM by Kronnect »

demonixis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 07:29:51 AM »
I understand, but it's not possible to use it with any SRP renderer (HD, LW or custom). I think it's going to be the futur of Unity's rendering, but not in a short term.
In any case, as a customer, I can buy you asset again in a separate package if you do it. To be honest, the PPS is fine, I like it, but the Bloom is crap, my dream is to have a mix of PPS effects and yours effects.

I understand it's not easy, I ported an image effect to the PPS API but this one was very easy. It's probably more difficult because you've to use the PPS API and not the old API.

Kronnect

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 07:46:33 AM »
Yeah, exactly - both Beautify and Volumetric Fog & Mist are really dense and feature rich assets - works in that direction started sometime ago but stopped due to demand on other fronts.
Itís unclear how the new packages will be priced though and what access paths will be available for existing customers since cross-selling options are quite limited in Unity.