So what is everyone building these days?

Started by incursio, February 06, 2016, 09:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

incursio

Thought I would drop in and post a friendly thread to see who wants to share what they are building these days.  Feel free to post as little or as many details as you want.  Would love to hear about progress as well, like what stage you are in, what pieces you've completed, etc.  Maybe we can all jointly encourage one another to cross the finish line!

As for me, I am the lead dev on a rather popular WW2 Grand Strategy mod, and I've decided to build my own game finally. Well, more of a hybrid between a game and an engine, as pretty much everything will be moddable - at least that is the goal :D

I've got the soundtrack locked in, a good bit of the UI, and am working on the economy for the most part these days.  After the economy is mostly in place, I will be moving on to work on the political aspects of the game, with units, technologies, and combat being last.  Gotta make sure the underpinnings of the game are in place and strong before tackling that bit.

Hope to hear from some others here!

Cheers.

incursio

Wow, no one else is building anything cool and worth sharing? ;)  Well, I'll share a quick update, I guess.

My work on the economy is progressing nicely. I'm guessing that I'm about halfway done with the economic portion of the game.  Still learning C# (and Unity for that matter), but coming from C/C++/Java/PHP/et al, its mostly down to learning the best way to do mundane tasks.  Kronnect has been a big help in pointing me in the right direction from time to time! :D

Ah well, still hoping someone chimes in and shares a bit about what they're up to.

Cheers.

Kronnect

Awesome, thanks for sharing.

Umm... people are quite reserved when it has to do with their projects, but there're already some guys working on WMSK... and a lot more on WPM editions :)
And most of people come here to solve some issue... and download latest beta releases. Probably it's early to get some feedback from others at this stage. That's why I really appreciate your contributions.

Perhaps you may also want to reach a broader community on Unity forum as well, publishing some tidbits there:
http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/released-world-map-strategy-kit-kickstart-your-next-aaa-strategy-game.386743/

Cheers.

incursio

Yeah, understandable.  I am somewhat reserved as well, but figured maybe a few folks might want to share broad details of what they're up to.  Really looking for a few others so we can help "push" and "encourage" each other along the path as it were :)

Cheers.

DanielFF

I'm building a game about travel company airships, where players compete with each other on routes (eg NY- Paris) setting prices, buying best airships and things like that. For this type of game we need a BaaS and we are using PlayFab.

Also, I plan a strategy game based on diplomacy, economy and relations between countries and economic groups. In this case, we will use  PlayFab too and I'm evaluating using this https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/33063 to manage the relationship. Who knows in the future, WMSK have their own relationship system between countries and groups? Would be great.

What you guys think about these ideas?
And what tools and plugins you guys are using in your projects?

Cheers!

incursio

Your projects sound pretty sweet!

I too have been looking at Love/Hate, though I haven't bought it yet, as I'm not quite far enough along to begin development on that aspect of my game.  I'll be curious what you think of it, though.

Cheers.

DanielFF

I also have not bought the Love/hate, I have just read the docs and it seems that will fit the purpose of my game, where characters of the love/ hate are countries ,factions will be the political / economic groups and actions (such as economic sanction) will generate reactions and affect relationships chain.

All this is still theory, but I will be happy to share experiences when / if I buy.

Sorry for my bad english :)

incursio

No worries - your English is great, btw :)  I haven't looked at the docs yet - will maybe do that this weekend.

monticello

Quote from: incursio on February 06, 2016, 09:17:33 PM
As for me, I am the lead dev on a rather popular WW2 Grand Strategy mod

Just for curiosity: would it be Hearts of Iron?

Quote from: Kronnect on February 22, 2016, 01:10:16 PM
Umm... people are quite reserved when it has to do with their projects, but there're already some guys working on WMSK... and a lot more on WPM editions :)
What are the differences between the WMSK and the WPM?

Talking about me, I'm creating a navigator/exploring game, where you sail your boat around the world.. I am studying if this would by a good tool to help me and why.
Thanks and great work, by the way.

Kronnect

Hi and welcome!

WMSK is a supercharged version of WPM 2D Edition as it includes features aimed to accelerate strategy game development that are not included in 2D Edition like fog of war, hexagonal grid, animated water, minimap, pathfinding, ...

WPM 2D Edition is now aimed at non games or games that won't need features above.

I'd suggest you to evaluate either WPM Globe Edition (for the spherical projection although it lacks WMSK's features of above) or WMSK itself.

osya

Hello everyone;
I am new to the Unity world :) (I am developer on C# and Smalltalk), and would like to try to build simple puzzle geography game for my kids.
I believe that this World 2D Map would suit my needs, but i don't know how to start :(.
If someone can give me advice of how to start, what packages do i need, maybe tutorial - it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Also, would it be possible to get some free limited edition of World Political Map - just to see if it is what i am looking for?
Thanks again!

Kronnect

Hi osya! Welcome!

WPM is great for that, either the Globe or 2D Editions. You may start with a Lite Edition  which costs just $27 on our Online Store. Here you have a comparison chart:
http://kronnect.me/taptapgo/index.php/topic,1437.0.html

Later you can upgrade if you want to the full edition for just the difference in price.

Lite Editions come with all countries and main cities of the world whereas Full versions add better graphics, all provinces, additional components and functionalities.

We'll answer all your questions and doubts either by email or posting them on the support board here: http://kronnect.me/taptapgo/index.php/board,7.0.html

Regards.

Kronnect

supadupa64